BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED IN THE SHAWNEE HILLS COMMUNITY
Building Permits ARE required in the Shawnee Hills Property Owner's Assn community. Following is an excerpt from our bylaws:
Building permits are required for houses, garages, boat houses, above and below ground pools,
boat shelters, docks, storage sheds or additions to any of the above. All buildings, including
docks, must be approved by the Board of Trustees. The cost of the permit shall be determined
annually by the Board of Trustees. Boat houses are not to be used as sleeping quarters, or to be
equipped with any sanitary facilities, either portable or permanent All buildings must comply with
road and side lot setback requirements. Permits will not be unreasonably withheld and will be
issued providing there are no deed covenant violations and all annual charges have been paid.
To apply for a Building Permit, call SHPOA clerk Janet Barker at 937-902-6194. Our clerk answers phone calls from 10 am to 2 pm, Monday through Friday. After hours, leave a message and your call will be returned.
Formalized SHPOA Building Standards, as Discussed at December, 2018 Board Meeting
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 1
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS, Revised by SHPOA Board of Trustees
December 1, 2018
The Shawnee Hills Property Owners Association, Inc. (SHPOA) is a nonprofit corporation organized pursuant to the laws of the State of Ohio. The membership is composed of property owners within a certain tract of land known as the “Shawnee Hills Subdivision” Greene County, Ohio; the association is the governing body thereof. The general nature and purpose of the association are expressly stated in Article Three of its Articles of Incorporation which include:
To provide rules and regulations for each owner’s property to the end that the same may insure to the benefit of the property of the members of this association.
To provide bylaws for the operation of the association, and to improve, promote, and protect all property transferred or deeded to the association and to adopt rules for the improvement, promotion, and protection of the members of the association and the property owners in the development known as Shawnee Lake in Greene County.
It is in conformity with, and in furtherance of the same, that the Association hereby declares the following to be its “Building Code” with reference to the regulation of the planning, design, and construction of all buildings and/or property within the subdivision.
Changes to this document are identified by the date of the revision. Any new construction, addition or modification to a property covered by this document shall be constructed to be in compliance with the latest issue. Items of construction that were built prior to the latest revision are assumed to have been in compliance with the Building Code in effect as of 12/1/18.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 2
Table of Contents
1. ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW COMMITTEE 3
2. BUILDING PERMITS 3
3. EXPRESS STANDARDS OF CONSTRUCTION 5
4. INSPECTION 9
5. CONSTRUCTION SITE MAINTENANCE 9
6. REVIEW OF PROCEEDINGS 10
7. EFFECTIVITY 10
8. CHECKLIST 11
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 3
1. ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW COMMITTEE
A. The Board of the Shawnee Hills Property Owners Association, Inc. shall appoint an Architectural Review Committee (ARC), for a term of three years, to perform the following functions:
To provide a committee for the review, evaluation, approval and disapproval of proposed plans for the planning, design, and construction of all buildings and/or property improvement within the subdivision;
To establish, maintain, and preserve STANDARDS and standards for the planning, design and construction of all buildings and/or property improvements within the subdivision.
To enforce the provisions of this code.
B. The Architectural Review Committee shall be composed and structured as follows:
The SHPOA Board will appoint not less than three (3) members in good standing of the Association to be on the Architectural Review Committee and identify one of the members as chairperson to lead the committee.
At least one (1) member of the Committee shall possess knowledge and/or experience in all, or substantially all, aspects of residential construction.
The Architectural Review Committee and the individual members thereof, shall serve at the pleasure of the Association. (4) The SHPOA Board can remove or replace members as needed.
*SHPOA Deed Covenant #3 says: All foundations and structural plans are subject to approval of the Shawnee Hills Property Owners Association, Inc. or it’s assigns.
2. BUILDING PERMITS (See 14.2 of Bylaws)
A. Scope of Permits:
(1) Building Permits shall be required for the construction or alteration to existing structures (repairs are excluded) of the following items as defined by Section 3 Express Standards of Construction:
(b) House Additions
(c) Garages & Accessory Buildings
(l) Swimming Pools
(m) Patio roof, porch roof, sun room, screened porch
(n) Other structural alterations not covered above. Other structures shall be defined as anything with a footer and/or any mechanics applied to it.
(2) Building Permit fees and deposits will be paid according to the information found in the SHPOA Requirements for “Plan Approval and Permit Application”.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 4
B. Permit requirements:
(1) Permit requirements that must be met before any construction begins:
(a) A SHPOA Permit issued by the Architectural Review Committee for approval of all plans and specifications of the construction project. (see Shawnee Hills Deed Covenant #3)
(b) Greene County requires a permit for any structure with a roof.
(c) A permit (if applicable) from the Greene County Sanitation for installation of a sewer line.
(d) A permit (if applicable) from the Greene County Water Dept. for installation of a water meter.
(e) A zoning permit from New Jasper or Silvercreek Township.
(f) Other rules may apply. Please refer to the Greene County Building Code for a complete listing of rules, regulations, and specifications.
(2) No application for a building permit shall be considered a building permit granted until the owner has paid in full all dues and assessments owed to the Association on any lots owned in the subdivision. If such a permit is granted and the owner’s dues and assessments become delinquent during the construction, the building permit shall be considered suspended, null and void as of the date of the delinquency and shall not be reinstated until the delinquent charges are paid. (In our bylaws now 14.2)
(3) If a check for the building deposit and/or building permit is returned for insufficient funds, the building permit shall be considered suspended, null and void as of the date of the NSF notification and shall not be reinstated until the check(s) are made good. Cash, money orders or cashier’s check are the only methods of payment that will be accepted for repayment of the fees. In addition, an NSF charge (the current rate charged by the SHPOA office) must be included in the repayment of fees for the building permit to be reinstated.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 5
3. EXPRESS STANDARDS OF CONSTRUCTION Referenced Requirements:
The current Greene County and State of Ohio 2013 RCO building code(s) adopted for use by the Greene County Building and zoning Office and the Restrictive Covenants of the Shawnee Lake Subdivision are made a part hereof to the same extent as if fully rewritten herein, subject to the express provisions herein after set forth.
A. New Homes:
1) Floor Area: No residence shall have less than 1200 sq. ft. of living space on the ground floor and a minimum of a 400 sq. ft. attached garage.
2) Home must be “stick” built per the SHPOA Deed Covenants. (No post frame construction).
3) The new home must be built and comply with the current Greene County and State of Ohio 2013 RCO building code.
4) A building permit is required from; SHPOA, and from Greene County, a zoning permit is required from New Jasper or Silvercreek Townships.
5) No modular home construction shall be permitted within this subdivision. For the purposes of this section, the term “Modular” shall refer to a single-family residential structure which is referred to in colloquial terms as a “trailer home” and has been constructed off-site and transported on-site requiring only placement and minor construction prior to occupancy.
B. Room Additions(s):
1) Home addition must be “stick” built per the SHPOA Deed Covenants. (No post frame construction)
2) The addition must be built and comply with the current Greene County and State of Ohio 2013 RCO building code.
3) A building permit is required from: SHPOA, and from Greene County, a zoning permit is required from New Jasper or Silvercreek Townships.
1) Concurrent with the excavation for footers or basements, the driveway must be graded and filled with 2D stone enough to provide access for trucks without carrying mud and debris onto the subdivision roadways.
2) Off-street parking for a minimum of three (3) cars must be provided.
3) All new homes, built will have a driveway of either concrete, asphalt, or paver-brick finished surface. Garages and/or accessory buildings must have a minimum of a gravel driveway and homeowners are encouraged to use blacktop or concrete for the driveway finished surface. Sheds (224 sq. ft. or smaller) do not require a driveway.
4) Any new driveway, driveway add-on, or parking pad must be concrete, asphalt, or paver-brick surface unless the driveway is for an accessory building which can be gravel.
5) A SHPOA building permit for a home, garage or accessory building includes a permit for a driveway.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 6
D. Electrical: All electrical installations shall be in accordance with the National Electrical Code and require an electrical permit from Greene County.
E. Plumbing: All plumbing shall be in accordance with the Greene County and State of Ohio State Plumbing Code and may require a plumbing permit from Greene County.
F. Garages & Accessory Buildings:
(1) One detached garage or accessory building (including a shed) may be constructed on the lot provided there is an existing home on the lot. A boathouse is not considered a garage or accessory building. (ref. H., Boathouses, for description.)
(2) Garages/storage buildings on adjacent lots are required to be tied in as a deed restriction of existing house and lot.
(3) The total space of the garage or accessory building cannot exceed 60% of the living area (footprint) of the first floor of the home excluding the garage.
(4) The structure can be built using the “stick” 2x4, footer and foundation method or by using the “post frame” method following the Greene County and State of Ohio 2013 RCO building code, section 324.
(5) The height of the building cannot exceed 15 ft. at its highest point.
(6) Roof of the building must have a minimum of a 4/12 pitch with a minimum of an 18” overhang on its sides and 12” overhang on the front and rear of the building.
(7) Building must have a concrete floor with a minimum depth of 4”.
(8) Overhead doors must be used on the building, sliding track doors are not permitted.
(9) Siding, roof material and color of the new garage or accessory building should match or complement the home’s exterior as much as possible. Metal siding may be used. Homeowners are encouraged to use windows, wainscot and other attractive additions to the building to make it more appealing in a residential setting.
(10) All new garages or accessory buildings are required to have a driveway. The minimum requirement is a gravel driveway, but homeowners are encouraged to use concrete, asphalt or a paver-brick finished surface. A SHPOA building permit for a garage or accessory building includes a permit for a driveway. (ref. C. Driveways)
(11) A zoning permit is required from New Jasper or Silvercreek Townships and a building permit from Greene County.
(1) Maximum shed size is 224 sq. ft. (14 x 16 feet) with a maximum height of 13 feet. Any building under 224 sq. ft. must comply with shed rules and will be permitted as such.
(2) Only one shed (this includes garages or accessory building) permitted per property, provided there is an existing home on the lot. Property includes house lot and all adjacent lots.
(3) Vinyl or plastic sheds are not permitted.
(4) No temporary storage structure of any type will be permitted.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 7
(1) A boathouse is any mooring structure with a roof, may include sidewalls or storage areas that are attached. Boathouses are excluded from 50 ft. water setback only.
(2) The maximum allowable width is 28 ft. from the outermost point of supporting post to supporting post with a maximum of 2 ft. overhang on each side for a total structure width of 32 ft. The maximum overall height from finished grade is 15 ft.
(3) A boathouse is not considered a storage or accessory building. You may have a boathouse and one detached garage or accessory building (including sheds) on the lot provided there is an existing home on the lot.
(4) A boathouse can be constructed on a lot without an existing home, but a detached garage or accessory building (including sheds) cannot be built without an existing home on the lot.
(1) All types of fences, including living fences, can be constructed or planted without approval from the Architectural Review Committee.
(2) Fences must not obstruct lake views.
(3) No fence higher than 48” is permitted without special approval from the Architectural Review Committee.
(4) Prior to the consideration of the Architectural Review Committee for special approval as noted in sections (1), (2) and (3) all property owners within a 210 ft. radius arc, which center will be the center point of the property requesting special approval, will be notified and given an opportunity to object.
(5) The finished portion of the fence is to face the outside of the property (Effective 1/1/19)
(6) The final location of a fence must be approved by the Architectural Review Committee if there are no objections from the nearby property owners. If there are any objections, the matter will be referred to the Board of Trustees.
(1) Docks may not extend into the lake more than 24 ft., subject to the Architectural Review Committee discretion, from the current shoreline.
(2) A dock that is being built in a cove cannot restrict boat traffic.
K. Swimming Pools:
(1) Swimming pools, in ground and above ground, require a SHPOA permit.
(2) Required permits must also be obtained from Greene County and a zoning permit from New Jasper and Silvercreek Township.
L. Patio Roof:
(1) A SHPOA building permit is required for the construction of a roof over a patio (attached to a house and open on three sides).
(2) Required permits must also be obtained from Greene County, New Jasper and Silvercreek Townships.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 8
(1) A SHPOA building permit is required for the construction of any seawall. Plans must be submitted for approval by the Architectural Review Committee, and must include type of material being used, and location relative to current shoreline and property pins. If the foundation of a proposed boathouse is part of the seawall, then a complete set of plans for the proposed boathouse must be submitted with the seawall plans.
(1) Refer to the Greene County and State of Ohio 2013 RCO building code(s) adopted for use by the Greene County Building and Zoning Office for construction STANDARDS.
(2) A building permit is required from SHPOA and Greene County. A zoning permit is required from New Jasper or Silvercreek Twp.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 9
A. Inspection shall be made by qualified individuals as designated by the SHPOA Board of Trustees to determine that the terms of this code have been met. All inspections must be made on site. No portions of the building may be closed to view until the necessary inspections have been made and the work approved.
B. Final inspection when building, grading and landscaping is complete.
C. If the Building Inspector and/or the Architectural Review Committee in their sole discretion determine after an inspection that certain work fails to comply with the provisions of the building code, they may issue an order stopping all or part of the work until such time as the provisions of the code are fully complied with. This stop work order shall be served by hand-delivery upon the builder and/or owner or posted conspicuously on the premises. Upon service of the order, the work designated shall stop immediately until such time as the remedial work is performed to the satisfaction of the inspector and/or Architectural Review Committee. Any failure to strictly comply with the stop work order shall result in a fine of $50 per day against the offending party.
D. Construction shall be completed on permits $150 and under 3 months from issue date. All additions, boathouses, garages and new homes over 1,200 square feet shall be completed in 6 months from issue date.
(1) The first day after the permit expires, $100 will be deducted from the $500 deposit. As each additional 30 days pass, $100 will be deducted. The total time allowed to elapse from the issue date of the first permit is 15 months. At this time, a second permit must be obtained.
(2) The second permit, after 15 months from the issuance of the first permit, will be an additional $500 with an additional $500 deposit. All construction will cease after 15 months from first permit until the 2nd permit is obtained.
E. Any property owner or contractor who starts construction without the required SHPOA permit, the property owner may be assessed a penalty up to five (5) times the cost of the original permit.
5. CONSTRUCTION SITE MAINTENANCE
A. A dumpster of barrels for refuse and building materials are required on the site to be used by the construction crew to eliminate an unsightly accumulation and/or scattering of trash in the neighborhood.
B. No burning shall be permitted.
C. No outside toilets shall be permitted, unless placed in an inconspicuous location as determined by a SHPOA Building Inspector.
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 10
D. Work may not commence before 7:00 A.M. Monday through Saturday and 9:00 A.M. on Sundays. All exterior work will terminate no later than 7:00 P.M.
E. No materials or refuse shall be buried.
F. All contractors are responsible for cleaning up any debris, trash and mud on SHPOA roads caused during the normal course of construction by any machinery and vehicles, including large trucks.
G. An automatic fine of $100 for each offense shall be levied against the permit holder, with no warning required.
H. If the fine is not paid within 30 days. It will be deducted from the building deposit.
6. REVIEW OF PROCEEDINGS
A. The Architectural Review Committee shall exercise its best judgement to see that all improvements in the subdivision conform to these standards as to the size, external design, quality/type of construction materials, setting, height, grade, and finished ground elevation. The actions of the Architectural Review Committee, through its approval or disapproval of plans and other information submitted pursuant hereto, shall be conclusive and binding on all interested parties except that deviations may be referred to the SHPOA Board of Trustees for review and final decision.
B. A final decision of the Architectural Review Committee may be appealed to the Board of Trustees of the Shawnee Lake Property Owners Association, Inc. The following procedure shall be affected in order to perfect an appeal:
(1) A statement setting forth in detail the basis of the appeal shall be filed with the Secretary of the Board of Trustees and the Chairman of the Building Review Committee within ten (10) days from the date of the final determination of appealed from. Filing may be accomplished by personal delivery or certified delivery.
(2) The appeal shall be considered at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees at which time the person filing the appeal must be present.
(3) The appeal shall be restricted to the documents upon which the Architectural Review Committee rendered its determination, together with any oral statements offered at the time of hearing.
(4) The determination of the Architectural Review Committee shall be conclusive, absent a showing on the part of the party filing the appeal that the determination is not supported by the provisions of this code.
7. EFFECTIVITY This code shall be effective February 4, 2019
SHPOA BUILDING STANDARDS (Revised 12/1/18) Page 11
8. CHECK LIST FOR NEW HOMES AND OTHER STRUCTURES
A. Submission and approval of 3 sets of plans and plot plan by SHPOA Architectural Review Committee.
(1) Sheathing for exterior, roof and foundation when applicable.
(2) Siding materials – samples may be required.
(3) Roofing materials.
(4) Roof pitch.
(5) Overhang size.
(6) Dues and assessments paid and up-to-date (must be a member in good standing and not have any delinquent accounts.
(7) Sign SHPOA building permit.
(8) Payment fee of building permit and deposit to SHPOA.
(9) A 6 – month building permit issued from SHPOA.
(10) Obtain a zoning permit from New Jasper or Silvercreek Township.
(11) Obtain permits from Greene County.
(12) A sewage permit from Greene County Health Department, if required.
(13) Payment of a water tap fee (separate check) to Greene County Water Dept. if required.
(14) Inspections by SHPOA Building Inspector – Must call for inspection: (a) A Copy of Greene County occupancy permit once approved. (b) Drainage, driveway installation (c) Landscaping, driveway paving, etc.
(15) A copy of Greene County occupancy permit once approved.
(16) SHPOA will return your deposit if completed within 6 months. If the work goes beyond 6 months, $100 will be deducted from the deposit for every 30 days, or portion thereof, that the work is not completed.
HAZARDS AND EYESORES UPDATES
SHPOA Hazards and Eyesores October 6, 2017 (New info in bold italics )
14.2: Building Permits Building permits are required for houses, garages, boat houses, above and below ground pools, boat shelters, docks, storage sheds or additions to any of the above. All buildings, including docks, must be approved by the Board of Trustees and be in compliance with the Board of Trustee approved SHPOA Building Standards.
A) All property owners are required to mow their lots so that the grass does not exceed 8” in height.
B) Failure to do so will result in the Board of Trustees contracting to have the lot mowed at a charge set by the Board of Trustees, (minimum of $150 per mowing).
C) SHPOA shall not be liable for any minor property damage ensuing from penalty mows of lots.
A) House or Lot-For-Sale signs may be placed on lots, providing the signs are no larger than 24” x 24”.
B) Other types of signs not to exceed 24” x 24” may be erected for a period not to exceed fourteen (14) days per twelve (12) month period.
C) No signs other than Association signs are allowed on property owned by the Association.
14.7: Pets: Pets are not to be let run from owner’s property unless accompanied. Only household domestic pets are permitted.
14.8: Ditches and Fences: No Association drainage ditches are to be filled, tiled, or covered unless approved by the Board. No fences shall be erected, unless approved by the Board.
14.9: Hazards and Eyesores: The Board of Trustees may direct that the following eyesores or hazards be removed or corrected by the property owner within a reasonable period, within 45 days of written notification by the SHPOA Board of Trustees.
A) Automobiles, trucks, RVs, boats, other vehicles, lawnmowers, or trailers which are unlicensed, wrecked, incomplete, cannot have any flat tires or broken windows and/or are disabled, inoperable.
B) Large piles of trash and debris will not be permitted to accumulate on any lot or portion thereof which creates an eyesore.
C) Storage of unsightly items which would be detrimental to local surroundings and/or create a habitat for rodents and other pests.
D) Buildings that are so unsightly, deteriorated, or rusted, as to constitute, in the opinion of the board of trustees, an eyesore.
14.10: Parking on Association Property: No overnight parking of any vehicle on any Shawnee Hills Association property is allowed.
14.11: Camping: No tents, trailers or mobile homes allowed overnight on lot(s) without a house.
14.12: Parking of Vehicles and construction equipment.
A) The parking of vehicles over two (2) tons on any Shawnee Hills Subdivision property is prohibited.
B) Construction equipment such as; bull dozers, skid-steers (Bobcat), construction trailers (open and enclosed), storage containers etc., are not permitted on any Shawnee Hills Subdivision property unless being used during periods of construction, remodeling or demolition of a dwelling, storage building, fence, landscaping etc. Construction equipment being used during periods of construction, remodeling or demolition shall remain on site NO more than 30 days from the completion date on the permit issued for the project, unless approved by the SHPOA board in writing.
C) Once the construction of a dwelling is completed on a lot, all motor vehicles owned by the property owner shall be parked either in the driveway or inside the garage. The grass may be used for overflow parking for guests for a limited time not to exceed 10 days.
D) Where no dwelling is being constructed on a lot, motor vehicles and miscellaneous vehicles may be parked thereon up to twelve (12) continuous hours; parking for a longer period may be permitted with the prior written permission by the SHPOA board.
14.13: Littering: It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit, or place cans, bottles, trash or garbage upon property (including Lake Shawnee) owned or controlled by the Shawnee Hills Property Owners Association, Inc.
Property owners are not permitted to burn leaves, grass clippings or trash on any place on their lot(s) outside their dwelling, except if the actual process of cooking food in a barbecue or over a “campfire.” At no time shall open fires be left unattended by a responsible adult. Property owners shall have enough equipment and materials readily available to quickly extinguish any “campfire. A campfire cannot be larger than 3 ft in diameter by 2 ft. high.
All campfires must comply with the “Ohio EPA Requirements for backyard fires.” See link below for Ohio’s Open Burning Regulations.